Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Cry of a Hurting Child

It was Saturday February 7, 2009 and I was coming back to Kansas from a Children's Pastors Conference in San Diego. I called the airport on Friday night to see how early I needed to be there and they stated at least two hours, because there are more travelers on the weekend and the security lines might be long. I left the hotel at 8:30 and was at my gate by 9:05, no wait and no long security lines. So here I am and I have over two hours before my flight leaves, so I decided to catch up on my daily Maxx Lucado Devotional study. As I was reviewing scripture, a young lady with two small children sat in the seat behind me. The little girl keep peaking around the chair looking at me and I just smiled. The young woman said I'm sorry if my daughter is bothering you and I said that she wasn't. The young woman asked me what I was reading and I told her that I was reading scripture out of the Bible. She said I used to go to church, but not anymore. A little light went off in my head and I asked her why she doesn't go to church anymore. She said you don't want to hear my story, another light went off. So as a listen she stated that yesterday was her birthday and she turned 19. I gave her a belated birthday wish and she said thank you. Then she told me that she got pregnant at 15 and her mother throw her out of the house. Then she meet a man and got pregnant again and he wanted marry her, so at 17 she asked her mother for permission to marry this man. Her mother signed the paperwork and she got married. The man then took her and her child to Tijuana, Mexico where she lived with him. Well she then told me her husbands ex-wife lived in Tijuana and they had six kids togther. When he wanted to go out with his ex-wife they would bring the other six kids over and she would have watch all the children. If she complained, he would beat her, when he came home after being out all night drinking and she would give in to his demands he would beat her. As I listed my heart truly broke and I held back the tears for this young woman. So she said eveytime she wanted to leave he finally said go but she could not take the children. So she stayed and took beatings so she would not lose her children. She went to San Diego by herself and found a shelter for abused women and they connected her with San Diego Social Services. As she explained her situation to them they tried to help her and on Thurday night her husband came across the border and they detained him for questioning. Social Services called her and advised her to get all documentation that she had and that she need to head for the border and they would pick her up. She did that and then spent the night in a hotel and eneded up in the sit behind me at the airport. After hearing this, I told her that no matter what she has been through God has always loved her and that she was welcomed back to him anytime. By now it was time to start boarding our plane and they do not let women and small child board anymore. So I helped her board the plane and would you know it God placed me in the same row as her. We talked a little more and when we landed in Denver, CO; I helped her push one of her children to her gate. I stayed and talked with her for a while longer and she stated she was not sure were she would go when she got to Oklahoma City. I asked if she could go home and she was not sure. I asked if she would give me her mother's phone number and she did. I spoke briefly with her mother and told her I was at the airport with her daughter Bethany and her two small children. I explained that she has been through some tough times and was not sure if she could come home. Her mother said can I speak with her, they spoke briefly and Bethany starting crying and said goodbye. Giving me my phone back, she said I can come home, I can come home. I said that is great news, and as I always wear different color bracelets; I decided to give her one that said "Jesus Loves Me" and she took. She thanked me for everything and it was time for her to start boarding the plane. I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he could help her and he was to business checking in customer, so a lady stated she would help her. As I watched Bethany and her two small children get on the plane her story kind of reminded me of the Prodigal Son return home. Now I had another problem, Bethany plane was at gate 33 and my departure gate was 48; 15 gates away (if you have ever been in an airport you know the gates are not next to each other). So while I was quickly walking to my gate I prayed and thanked God for allowing me to meet Bethany and if I missed my flight it would be worth it. So I finally arrive at gate 48 and I looked at the sign and it said DELAYED. So as I sat they reflecting on the day and the Amazing God I serve. I wonder how many times we meet someone and just give them a quick hello, a short hand wave, or we just walk on bye. We do not know when God will give us the opportunity to help, reach out, or ministry to others in our daily walk with him. So the next time you are at a store, restuarant, or the mall; don't just say Hi or Hello, ask how they are doing......God may have something planned for you that may change you life!

No comments:

Post a Comment